Tips for What to Do After You have been in an Auto Accident


SUV driving in city

  • Call the police. If you have been in an accident, call the police; do not rely on anyone else to call the police. Once you have called the police wait until the police arrive and do not leave the scene of an accident until the police leave. We strongly recommend that under any circumstances make a formal report of the accident; as this can be critically important to your potential compensation for this accident.
  • Get the contact information of the other drivers and people involved in the auto accident. What you need to get is their names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses. You also need to get the license plate number of any vehicles involved in the crash as well as the drivers insurance information.
  • Get the information of any eyewitness who saw the accident happen. This is also a critical aspect of your potential lawsuit, so make sure you try and get anyone who saw or could better explain what just happened.
  • Document the scene of the accident. Use a camera or cell phone to take pictures of your vehicle, your injuries on your person and the injuries of any occupants of your vehicle. We recommend that you keep a cheap disposable camera on your vehicle, especially motorcycle riders as you may not have access to a cell phone or digital camera after an accident has occurred.
  • Contact your insurance company. You need to contact the insurance company of your car, truck, SUV, motorcycle as well as your health insurance provider. It is very important they know early on that you have been in an accident and make a claim on your policy.
  • Call an experienced attorney. You need to call an experienced attorney as soon as you can after an accident. This will be a free meeting, and many attorneys, including Bishop & Hayes will come to you, so no matter if this is at home or in the hospital, you need to meet with an attorney as early as you can to start protecting your legal rights.

Remember: Insurance companies are profit business and will try to do everything in their power to minimize what they have to pay for this accident. In fact, they have the right to refuse to pay you anything, even though you are the victim. Our experienced team at Bishop & Hayes has spent years dealing with the strategy’s and tactics employed by these insurance companies and will fight to provide you with the full compensation you deserve.

No matter what, please seek the required medical treatment your injuries. See a doctor as soon as possible. Even if you feel your injuries are minor, it is always a good idea to be safe than sorry. Seeing a doctor will also be helpful in proving you claim of injury. It is imperative that you receive a complete medical evaluation in the event of a serious auto injury, as this will support the economic recovery claim that outlines the medical expenses and future treatments needed for you to make a full recovery.
In fact, insurance companies will rarely ever want to payout for a personal injury claim if you have waited for a significant amount of time to receive medical treatment. If you are seriously injured in an accident that only possible way that you will ensure that your accident claim is verified is to receive medical attention by a doctor. You also need to keep records of all medical visits and expenses related to your injury.

If you or a loved one has been seriously injured please call the experienced team at Bishop and Hayes to help ensure your legal rights are protects.

Share This Story

Did you find this interesting? Consider clicking one of the links below to share this story to your social media channels.

Get Legal Help, Fast.

If you've been injured due to another's negligence, you are entitled to compensation. At Bishop & Hayes you don't pay a dime unless we win your case. Our primary focus is auto accident law, which allows us to concentrate our efforts towards getting our clients the best results possible for our clients. 

Man smiling

Injured in an Auto Accident?

Send your case details through our online form, and a member of our team will get back to you with the best course of action for your case. 

Call an Attorney

Share To: