Understand Negligence


Negligence occurs when someone fails to act responsibly. This may either mean that a person’s actions were reckless or that the person’s failure to act was irresponsible for the situation. In either case, if you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries. The word victim is often times used to describe the injured party. However, many of our client’s feel that they are not the victims, but rather an injured party who is now fighting for their future. Our clients never asked to be injured, they never asked to have the need, not want, of compensation to help them move past their emotional and physical injuries. In this blog post we explain how negligence works and how it relates to auto injury law. If you have been injured in an auto accident you will have questions, we would like to encourage you to call us and schedule a free care review where we will be more than happy to answer all your questions for free.

How soon after an injury should I contact a lawyer?

You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible after suffering an injury. Your first concern when injured should be to seek medical care for your injuries. Once you have been medically examined by a doctor, contact an attorney to discuss your legal options. Do not assume that insurance companies, companies, and other defendants will be willing or quick to help you. Turn to Bishop and Hayes P.C. to ensure that your rights are properly protected, and you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries.

How much does it cost to have my case reviewed by your attorneys?

Bishop and Hayes P.C. offer prospective clients a free initial consultation. During this consultation, our auto injury lawyers will evaluate your case and provide you with high quality legal advice about how best to proceed with legal action. To schedule your consultation, call us at (417) 304-3228.

How long will it take to resolve my case?

Bishop and Hayes P.C. will work diligently to resolve your case as quickly as possible, there are many restrictions and obstacles that most personal injury cases must pass through before the issue can be fully resolved. It may take as little as a couple of months to resolve your case, whereas some other cases may take several years. The amount of time that it takes to resolve your case depends on many factors, including the type of case, the details of the case, and the external factors that control the speed of your case. Rest assured that our Chicago accident lawyers are working to professionally resolve your case as quickly as possible.

Does filing a lawsuit mean, I’m going to trial?

Not in most cases. Somewhere between 80-90% of cases are settled without a trial. The Bishop and Hayes Law Firm know that insurance companies and other defendants will try to offer the smallest settlement amount possible, and our attorneys will work to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, whether or not that means accepting a settlement offer or going to trial.

If a settlement is offered, who decides if I should settle or go to trial?

Only you can make a decision to settle or go on to trial. Bishop and Hayes Law Firm will provide you with the highest quality legal advice available, but at the end of the day the decision is solely your own.

Can I file a suit against my employer if I’m injured on the job?

If you are injured on the job, you are required to apply for workers’ compensation before filing a personal injury lawsuit. However, receiving workers’ compensation means waiving your right to sue your employer. Filing a personal injury lawsuit against your employer is very difficult unless you can prove gross negligence or deliberate malice.

If the workers’ compensation you are receiving does not cover your medical costs, you probably have two options: request increased payments through the workers’ compensation program, or file a third party lawsuit. The second option applies if you were injured by faulty equipment, on a third party’s property, or by an employee of another company.

I’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, do I need a lawyer?

If you have been injured in a car accident, you should consult Bishop and Hayes P.C. as soon as possible for a free consultation.

Not everyone needs to hire a lawyer, but everyone can benefit from a free legal consultation. Right away, you will start getting calls from insurance company representatives. They will be asking you to meet with them, give written statements and sign paperwork. It is easy to become overwhelmed and make bad decisions. Therefore, it is important that you educate yourself as soon as possible. A free consultation with Bishop and Hayes P.C. will help you understand your rights, your obligations and how the car insurance claims process works. Hiring a lawyer is an important decision. At Bishop and Hayes P.C., we would the opportunity give you the information you need to decide if hiring a lawyer is the best decision for you.

Share To: